The best pillow is one that will provide you with comfort and support. But how can you tell which pillow will be the perfect one for you?
Here are some things you’ll want to keep in mind as you consider different pillows:
- Your sleeping position — Generally, stomach sleepers and back sleepers will like a thinner pillow (that’s a pillow with a smaller loft). While side sleepers will be more comfortable in a thicker pillow (i.e. a pillow with a thicker or medium to high loft).
- Your body type — If you have a bigger build, you might be putting more weight into your pillow. So you might want a firmer pillow or dense pillow. But if you’re lighter than average or petite, then you may want a slimmer and softer pillow.
- Your personal preference and specific needs — Do you like cool-to-the-touch pillows? Do you like pillows you can move around, twist, and contort? Or do you like one solid block of foam that doesn’t move? All of these factors matter when shopping for your next pillow. Plus, if you’re suffering from neck pain or back pain, then you might a specific type of pillow, like a contour pillow or orthopedic pillow.
In the post below, we cover the 15 best pillows under $50 in detail. But for those in a hurry, here are our favorites.
- The best cooling pillow — click here for details
- The most comfortable pillow ($42 for a set of 2) — click here for details
- The most supportive pillow — click here for details
- The best memory foam pillow — click here for details
- The best-shredded memory foam pillow — click here for details
- The best-gusseted pillow — click here for details
- The best gel pillow — click here for details
- The best pillow for combo sleepers — click here for details
- The best soft pillow —click here for details
- The best medium firm pillow — click here for details
- The best down alternative pillow — click here for details
- The best goose down pillow — click here for details
- The best adjustable pillow — click here for details
- The best budget pillow — click here for details
- The best pillow for travel — click here for details
15 Best Pillows under $50 (an in-depth review)
1. inight Cooling Pillow
2. Feel & Sense Down Alternative Pillow (Hypoallergenic and full of Microfiber Fill)
3. Comfyt Cervical Cooling Pillow (Memory Foam Pillow with a Removable and Washable Cover)
4. The OlarHike Ventilated Memory Foam Pillow
5. Molblly Shredded Memory Foam Pillow ($35 for 2 Queen Size Pillows)
The Molblly shredded memory foam pillow is a great pick if you like soft, pliable pillows. It’s full of shredded memory foam. Unlike block memory, shredded memory foam is more breathable (air can flow through ti better) which means it won’t trap heat. It’s also going to feel a bit more like a traditional down or synthetic down pillow.
And because Molblly uses shredded gel foam, you can remove some of the shredded foam to adjust the height or loft the pillow.
For example, let’s say you buy the Molblly to help you sleep on your back. But when you try it out, it feels too thick for you. Your neck is propped up uncomfortably and it’s hard to sleep. You don’t need to return the pillow. Instead, you can unzip the side and take out as much shredded foam as necessary. Once the pillow looks thin enough, try it out and enjoy sleeping comfortably on your back.
Note: One con of having shredded foam like this is . . where do you put the foam once you’ve removed it? We recommend you put it in Ziploc bags and store it somewhere out of sight. You don’t want to throw it away as you can use that foam later, either to prop up your pillow or to replace your shredded foam years down the line when it starts to lose its pressure-relieving features.
6. Utopia Bedding Gusseted Pillow
Two king size pillows for $30? Sign me up! While the Utopia Bedding Gusseted Pillow pack is an absolute steal, here are more reasons to love it. Firstly, the white pillows with grey/ blue piping look no less than expensive pillows used in five-star hotels. But the gussets are not just for show but actually add to the durability of the pillows.
This pillow set strikes the perfect balance between softness and support, making it suitable for any sleeping position. They are also recommended for those who need extra neck support throughout the night. Although the pillows are hypoallergenic, if you are extremely sensitive to dust and allergens, we suggest using pillowcases or pillow protectors.
These medium-firm pillows offer maximum comfort and support. They are suitable for machine-wash but the brand recommends dry cleaning to ensure a prolonged life.
- Medium-firm blend provides good support
- Suitable for any sleep position
- Gusseted quilted sides look luxurious and enhance durability
- Value for money
- Machine washable
- May not be suitable for some side sleepers
- Can flatten over time
7. Beckham Hotel Collection Gel Pillow
As the name suggests, the Beckham Hotel Collection Gell Pillow is filled with plush gel fiber making it feel close to a down pillow. It is an affordable set of two pillows that provide optimum comfort for any sleeping position. The 100% sateen cotton cover allows breathability and a cool surface for you to rest on.
Since the pillows are hypoallergenic, chemical-free, and dust mite resistant, they are highly recommended for people with respiratory problems and allergies. Also, the covers are fade-resistant so you never have to worry about your pillows looking old and worn out.
Another interesting feature of these luxurious pillows is that they are stain-resistant. However, if you do happen to have a strong stain, the pillows can be tossed into the washing machine without a second thought. Lastly, the brand offers a 30-day trial and refund period.
- Budget-friendly down alternative pillow
- Plush gel fiber
- Breathable and cool cotton cover
- Hypoallergenic, dust mite, mold, and mildew resistant
- Fade-resistant and stain-resistant
- Machine washable
- 1-month trial period
- Complaints on Amazon regarding quality control
8. Luuna Original Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- CertiPUR-US MEMORY FOAM: Our memory foam pillow is produced with a blend of polyester and bamboo viscose material. This is filled with brand new and high-density CertiPUR-US certified foam that retains its shape and won’t clump or go flat over time
- CUSTOMIZABLE FIT: You can add or remove the filling made from precision-cut memory foam to adjust your firm pillow to your desired loft position. Whether you are a stomach, back, or side sleeper, start sleeping better today with the right support and comfort with Luuna ergonomic adjustable pillow
- FIRM COOL PILLOW: The cooling pillowcase of our memory foam pillow is made from bamboo fabric, which will help you sleep cool and comfy all night. Plus, the special foam shredding of the sleep pillow is perfectly distributed, offering superior support while relieving pressure points on your head and neck to keep your spine aligned
- REMOVABLE AND WASHABLE COVER: Our eco-conscious ergonomic pillow has a removable case that you can wash every 6 months to maintain a clean and fresh night of sleep every time. It effectively cools and distributes heat to prevent you from sweating when asleep
- MADE IN NORTH AMERICA: In Luuna, we believe that better sleep brings a better tomorrow. This idea has driven us over the past years to continuously design and make in North America the highest quality sleep products available in the market
- Machine washable and dryable
- Fluffy and lofty pillow
- Gusseted sidewalls help manipulate the shape
- 4 loft options
- Cotton cover promoted more air circulation
- Suitable for all sleepers
- 60-day trial and refund period, 10-year warranty
- Care and maintenance instructions may be difficult for some users
9. Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Gel Memory Foam Pillow
Recommended by doctors, the Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow never goes flat! Users love how you can customize the fill by stuffing as much shredded memory foam as you require. Plus, the bamboo cover is zipper removable, making it even easier to adjust according to your head size and personal preference.
Another advantage of the bamboo cover is its cooling properties and high breathability. Its orthopedic shape also makes it suitable for any sleeping position and pregnant users. In addition, to being hypoallergenic and dust mite, resistant, the brand uses Certipur-US certified foam and practices eco-friendly shipping.
This comfortable and cooling pillow comes with 120-day free customization, exchange, and no-cost return policy. Along with that, the brand offers a warranty period of 20 years.
- Cooling bamboo viscose cover
- Customizable shredded memory foam fill for preferred firmness and support
- Zipper removable cover
- Highly recommended for pregnant users
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Certipur-US certified
- 120-day free customization, exchange and no-cost return policy and 20-year warranty
- Filling the pillow and finding the right amount of firmness/ softness can be cumbersome
- May flatten over time
10. wavveUziz Cooling Gel Pillow
If you suffer from hot flashes, night sweats, etc., the wavveUziz Cooling Gel Pillow is an affordable option for you. While one side is covered with cooling gel, the other side features the uncovered memory foam. So you can switch depending on the prevailing climatic conditions.
The medium-firm pillow is best suitable for back and side sleeping and provides ample neck support throughout the night. The combination of high-density sponge and cooling pad helps prevent overheating, maintains the temperature, and disperses body heat. Sounds like a dream come true for hot sleepers. Doesn’t it?
Unlike shredded foam pillows, this pure memory foam pillow retains its shape and loft for a longer time period. Its consistent firmness helps in reducing neck and spinal pain. Additionally, its removable mesh cover is easy to wash, making the pillow’s care and maintenance a breeze.
- Cooling gel controls temperature to prevent overheating, sweating, etc.
- Suitable for back and side sleepers
- Uncovered memory foam side can be used during colder weather conditions
- Provides neck support
- Long-lasting shape and firmness
- Easy to wash mesh over
- Complaints regarding initial odor
- May be too firm for some users
11. Beyond Down Gel Fiber Side Sleeper Pillow
The Beyond Down Gel Pillow is another alternative for the expensive down pillows in the market. The micro-denier gel fiber fill lends it a luxurious feel and softness that mimics a goose down pillow. Its gusseted sidewalls add more structure and support, a plus for side sleepers.
The 100% cotton cover with 300-thread count allows ample airflow and breathability while keeping the surface cool for you to sleep on. Also, the material is hypoallergenic which helps in maintaining a healthy sleep routine without triggering your allergies. Washing and maintenance is also easy peasy since the pillow is machine washable.
Although this pillow is best recommended for side sleepers, it provides enough comfort and firmness for all types of sleeping positions. It is one of the best pillows in the market if you are running low on budget.
- Best budget buy
- Recommended for side sleepers
- Double-needle corded gusset for sturdiness and durability
- Filled with gel fiber that feels as soft and luxurious as goose down
- Cotton cover allows air circulation and breathability
- Machine washable
- May be too soft for some users
- Not recommended for EMF sensitive users
12. puredown Natural Goose Down Feather Pillows
An affordable alternative to Parachute’s down pillows is the puredown Natural Goose Down Feather Pillow Set. In less than half the price, you get two king-size pillows made of supreme quality material. Also, depending on the amount of support you need, you can opt for gusseted or non-gusseted options.
Made of grey goose feather and down, these pillows are comfortably thick and provide medium support. For users suffering from neck and shoulder pain, we suggest you pick from the gusseted variants for more sturdiness. Additionally, the brown gussets and double-layered fabric design reduce discomfort, if any, from the feathers.
Furthermore, the pillows are hypoallergenic, recyclable, and follow the Responsible Down Standard. Once unpacked, it is recommended that you pat the pillow to fluff it up sun dry it regularly for prolonged life.
- Value for money (compared to some of the best down pillows)
- 100% cotton shell
- High-quality goose feathers and down
- Hypoallergenic and recyclable
- RDS certified
- Comfy and supportive
- Available in 4 designs
- May deflate overtime
- Not machine washable
13. Oubonun Premium Adjustable Loft Quilted Body Pillow
If you are a side sleeper and heavily depend on support from the head to the hips, get your hands on the Oubonun Premium Adjustable Loft Quilted Body Pillow. What makes this pillow even better is its adjustable feature wherein you can unzip the hidden zipper and remove or add the filling.
The polyester fill is 100% hypoallergenic that protects from dust, allergens, pollen, pet dander, etc. You even get a complimentary cotton pillowcase to use with this great pillow. Also, this super-comfy pillow features anti-fading properties. Even so, difficult stains can be removed by machine washing.
When it comes to design, it is minimal with a white base and grey sides. So you can seamlessly match it with your other bed pillows. After unpacking, you will be required to press, squeeze, and fold the body pillow to fluff it up. If unsatisfied, the brand offers a 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee.
- Free cotton pillow cover
- Recommended for side sleepers, pregnant users, etc.
- Provides the cozy feel of a hug
- Adjustable loft and firmness
- Machine washable
- 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee
- Zipper is not durable
14. In Style Furnishings – Set of 2 Luxury Pillows
The InStyle Furnishings Set of 2 Luxury Pillows guarantee superior comfort with its polyester filling and cotton exterior that offers a 233 thread count. You can even skip using a pillowcase because it is that soft and comfortable!
These hypoallergenic and anti-microbial pillows are the best option for users who are sensitive to dust and pollen. InStyle has made the pillows perfectly firm yet fluffy, closely similar to hotel pillows. Available in standard and queen size, we recommend you wait at least 24 hours for the pillows to regain their original form after unpacking.
Washing and maintenance is also no issue with these machine-washable pillows. You can even tumble dry it in ‘low’ settings. Overall, the InStyle Luxury Pillow is a smart choice for tight budget buyers.
- Hotel pillow-like softness and comfort
- Breathable cotton cover
- Hypoallergenic and anti-microbial
- Machine washable and dryable
- Not very durable
Bonus Pick: Coop Home Goods Adjustable Travel and Camping Pillow
The Coop Home Goods Adjustable Travel and Camping Pillow can be your best bud while you embark on a new journey. While jet lags are unavoidable, a good night’s sleep with the right pillow can help you freshen up. Whether you’re staying in or camping outdoors, your comfort will never be compromised.
This pillow is fluffy yet easy to pack with the water-resistant stuff sack that compresses it, allowing you to travel light. It is a durable memory foam pillow that molds according to the shape of your head and cradles it to relieve neck pain. Also, the bamboo viscose rayon and polyester material ensure breathability and a cool touch.
Do not worry about your allergies being triggered at night since the pillow is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant. Lastly, the brand offers an irresistible 100-night return and refund policy along with a 5-year warranty.
- Fluffy and adjustable loft pillow
- Recommended for those who are always on the go
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- High breathability
- Easy to pack as water-resistant stuff sack compresses it to half its size
- Comfortable and durable
- CertiPUR-US certified
- 100-night trial period and 5-year warranty
- Not a full-sized pillow
- Stuffing may be too dense for some
- Complaints about chemical odor
What to Consider When Shopping for Pillows Under $50
Type of Pillow
Depending on your needs and preferences, you can determine the type of pillow that is best for you. From size to shape— it is crucial to recognize the different types of pillows available in the market. For example, contoured pillows (a.k.a. Orthopedic pillows) reduce neck pain, body pillows are recommended for pregnant users, bolster and wedge pillows are great for knee support, etc.
Type of Fill
What goes inside your pillow? Memory foam? Down? Feathers? Microbeads? The list is endless! Find out how much firmness and softness you like and pick your pillow filling. Usually, down pillows are super soft and do not offer much support while memory foam pillows are supportive and promote pain relief.
Of course, no one wants to spend hours on handwashing and sun drying a pillow every week. Thus, ensure that you check the washing instructions beforehand and purchase machine-washable pillows. It will save so much time and effort in the future.
So you found a fluffy pillow. What next? Check if it is hypoallergenic, anti-microbial, fade-resistant, etc. While the comfort level it provides is important, a good-quality pillow should also offer the aforementioned features.
You get for what you pay and most of the time, affordable products are often not up to the mark. Especially when you are buying them online. Hence, it is important to check if the brand offers a trial and warranty period. If you don’t get your money’s worth, it is your consumer right to complain and question the brand.
Next Steps: Choosing the Best Budget Pillow
Sleeping is a necessary activity since our body uses that time to repair and rejuvenate itself. Thus, getting the best pillow is important for sleeping undisturbed and waking up fresh the next morning.
With our list of the 15 best pillows under $50, we know that your new pillow will be an affordable and functional pillow that is just right for you!
You may also like reading:
- Casper vs Keetsa: 2 Major Mattress Brands Reviewed
- The Best Mattresses on Amazon
- Keetsa Mattresses Review: Comfortable and Affordable Beds
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?